With end of semester assignments, papers and finals almost out of the way (I’ll officially be free on Wednesday), I am back to doing what I love the most, talking about beauty products!
I am a firm believer in the power of a red lip. The feelings of empowerment, confidence and HELL YEAH I CAN because of a lipstick? Yes. Believe it. Red lipstick is what I consider the powerhouse of a makeup collection and something that no one should be without. It brightens the face, makes teeth look whiter and ties together many looks. Find your perfect red lip and you can do anything. Read along for a couple of my favourites!
Some background information: I prefer a matte, bright red lipstick with high pigment and long lasting power. All of the products in this post fit those characteristics. Along with a good red lipstick, I also believe in the power of a good red lip liner to wear with that lipstick. When wearing a bold lip of any colour, clean and precise lines are extremely important and a good lip liner will help achieve that. Also, lip liners allow you to not worry about uneven fading and lip feathering.
– CoverGirl Hot Lip Perfection Lipstick: a bright red with a bit of a creamy finish and leaves a stain that really lasts
– Lime Crime Red Velvet Velvetine: very similar to Ruby Woo, very matte and makes my lips look photoshopped (in the best way possible)
– MAC Ruby Woo Lipstick: my top pick for a bright, very matte red (I freakin’ love the Retro Mattes)
– NARS Cruella Velvet Matte Lip Pencil: a darker alternative to Ruby Woo with a stunning velvet matte finish
– MAC Viva Glam I Lipstick: a darker brown-red, my very first red lipstick after being matched by a MAC artist and a good one for many different skin tones (it was the first Viva Glam Lipstick, after all)
– MAC Cherry Lip Pencil: the ultimate pencil and can be used with many different red lipsticks
– OCC NSFW Lip Tar: a liquid lipstick in a classic red, starts off glossy but wears down to a nice satin finish
Swatches: MAC Cherry, Covergirl Hot, MAC Ruby Woo, MAC Viva Glam I, Lime Crime Red Velvet, OCC NSFW, NARS Cruella